dinsdag 11 augustus 2015

Two dresses from the Waterlooplein flea market



These two dresses are recent wardrobe additions (a next post will cover some others). I bought them a few weeks ago at the Waterlooplein fleamarket at my favorite stall. I've been comming there to buy my vintage since 2008 and found many a wonderfull piece of clothing. It is one of the best places to buy vintage from the 30's through 60's in Amsterdam, but you have to be there at the right time as the stall is not always open.

When the stock is new, usually every few monts, I go and try on a great many dresses an end up buying several most of the time. This time I bought two dresses.

 
 

The first is in a deep shade of red with a  white novelty print of dots and an unidentified shape that reminds me of an elephant  or a snale (but that's not quite it, so if anyone has any ideas?). It probably dates from the first half of the 1940's.





The dress features puffy sleeves and a ruffle just below the waist, combined with the cut of the bodice this enhances the female shape in the best possible way ;). When I was walking towards the stall I saw it hanging there I knew I had to have it. Luckily it was my size. I'm already so in love with it. One of those dresses you can wear for almost any occasion, and it is not even black!



The second dress has a large floral print in pink, white and black. It is from the late 40's or early 50's given the cut on sleeves. This dress needed some minor work before it was ready to wear. I started by giving it a good soak and letting it dry outside.




 
 
The kind of thin and fluttery rayon the dress is made of often becomes a bit course after washing. Only after ironing the fabric becomes its soft self again.
 
 
 
 
Some of the lining of the sleeves had come loose so it had to be reattached.

 
And as the dress was a bit to big for me in the waist I added two darts in the back to make it fit better.
 
This is the result:

 
Just look at that lovely neckline!

 
A very easy out and about dress :)

 
They were both hanging on a rack in my bedroom  before they got into my closet so I could look at them for a while :)
 
 

 
 


6 opmerkingen:

  1. Every post of you and your new dresses makes me want to go to Amsterdam again!
    I've visited the city a few times but never had the time to go to the Waterlooplein.. Next time I'll just have to go there. Hopefully I can get there before the end of this month, I would love some new vintage clothing in my wardrobe

    Emma

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. If you do mannage to go to Amsterdam: the stall I go to is open most Saturdays and also on some weekdays but that is different every week. It it in a row of stalls on the waterfront opposite the entrance of the gemeentehuis/stopera (ask for Maaike). You could also try the different Episode shops. Usually they all have 1 rack of 1930-60's dresses and I've found many dresses there at a set price (35 euro, if there is a lot of repearable dammage try to get a discount). If you'd like some more adresses and info I'd be glad to send them to you. I'm actually planning on doing an 'Amsterdam Vintage shopping guide' kind of post some day but haven't got round to it yet.

      Verwijderen
  2. Very pretty finds! I love the fabric and styles of the dresses, they seem quite different from the usual vintage I see ~ though that first one really is something special. You look so amazing in it! ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Seeing the work you do on vintage dresses is so inspiring.
    p.s. An Amsterdam vintage guide would be amazing!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. They're magnificent! You are beyond fortunate to have somewhere in your area in which to still find vintage treasures like these two breathtaking frocks. Congrats on both of them!

    ♥ Jessica

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Those dresses are wonderful finds! Thy look fabulous on you!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen