vrijdag 22 september 2017

Summer dreams and autumn realities

It's the first day of autumn, summer is over, and I'm having a harder time getting to terms with that than usual. Normally I can't wait for autumn, but this year I keep on dreaming of summer comming back.
So for now a little throwback with some dreamy summer pictures. And after that a look forward into the season ahead.
Firstly: pictures taken at a nostalgic holiday about a month ago. I'm not showing all outfits only the ones I have a good picture of.
I love the difference between floor-lenth eveningwear and shorter daywear that only really started in the 1930's. An evening dress would not have been worn with daytime accessoiries like a hat. Exceptions were garden parties, going to the races etc. The look in the pictures above is like that, the best of both worlds, a cloud of tule brushing the grass and a sassy hat to frame your face.
My outfit: early to mid 1930's tule dress, cotton gloves and borrowed 1930's hat.

I don't have enough chances to wear eveningdresses but during this holiday I wore several, just because. Outfit: Mid 1930's dress with painted flowers

My outfit: White 30's/40's evening dress with red bolero made by me.

Pictures below were taken with an analog camera. There's a certain charm to analog pictures I can't quite put my finger on. 
(copyright Thomas Klein)

Wearing a late 30's/40's shantung silk dress.



Flea-market finds:


This look matched the mill into the smallest details...

With the other ladies

More analog pictures taken with the photographer's 1947 car:
Outfit: mid-late 40's peplum dress, 1940's shoes, 1949 hat

(copyright Thomas Klein)

Late 30's shantung silk dress I'd never worn before, early 40's shoes, sunhat
I also went swimming in a wool bathing suit that day and have good picture of it, but I deemed it too much for a public blog.

Matchy-outfits:
My outfit: 1940's bolero suit and little red hat.

So matchy we could exchange hats
That was it for the holiday pictures.

Posing:
The picture below was taken by Esther Langendam for a photo project. The aim was to juxtapose 'old-fashioned' with modern. So I'm looking like the perfect little housewife (I'm not really) in a modern kitchen.

(copyright Esther Langendam)

One of the alalog pictures  (copyright Thomas Klein) taken when Thomas and his wife visited me in Amsterdam. It was taken at Grand Café 1e Klas at the Central Station, one of my favorite places.
The dress is one of my new favorites a friend pointed out to me when I visited het in her hometown Deventer. Love the color and all the details and that it good for any season!

The moors near my grandpa's on a rainy summer day. Wearing my granny's clothes.

Early autumn:

As soon as it is September it feels like real summer is over though the weather might still be good. Time for some transitional outfits. I got this crazy little hat during my holiday and wore it there already. But I had to wear it combined with my red bolero and a floral dress before it got too cold. Maybe a bit overdressed for a flea-market, but who cares.
This was when I visited friends in Germany for a living history event.


Some living history darning and a new apron I love.

With Club Interbellum we went on a cycling trip to visit a castle and an old sanatorium built in modernist style.

In front of 'Zonnestraal', where TB patients who could not afford recovering in mountain air could go.

At Sypesteyn castle we found something funny in the garden. A perfect case for CSI Interbellum ;)

Hats in the air

Last weekend my friend Katy visited me in Amsterdam. An occasion for some early autumn dressing up.

For the first evening we got free tickets for the ballet through a friend and we dressed up in cocktaildresses.

On Friday we went shopping.
It was the first outing for this color block 1940's dress. It has some 80's vibes but is actually an example of a dress made of two fabrics that was very popular during WWII because it was an ideal way to use scraps or revive old clothes.

We did some serious shopping. It seemed like all the vintage stores in Amsterdam had just gotten new autumn stock.
We found dresses, fur capes, accessoiries and maybe the best thing: coats!

Because we were a bit tired from our manic shopping spree the next day we decided for some relaxed 'culture' during the afternoon and visited the museum of bags and purses and the city archive.

First outing for this burgundy dream. I paired it with blue for now. I think I'll be wearing it al lot. Burgundy seems to be the theme color of my autumn/winter wardrobe as lightblue was for summer this year.

Matching our surroundings

In the evening there was a party  we got invited to and I decided to wear the blue floral dress I bought the day before.
There's always that piece of either summer or winter clothing you find when the season is just over, to mark it's true ending. But instead of hanging it away for next spring I wanted to give it a spin first.


Such a lovely shade of light blue. Might wear it during the coming week as it will be sunny and warm again :)

Autumn wardrobe:

Some summer dresses transition well into autumn dresses by changing accessoiries and wearing a coat.

As I wrote burgundy is my autumn/winter color for this year. This is the coat I found. I own a red coat already but it is a much warmer red and is not warm enough for winter propper. This coat however has a wadded lining.


Next to burgundy dark blue will always be a favorite. I paticularly like the combination of the two.


And a new sewing project:

Actually a juniors pattern but as I'm not that tall it'll probably work fine for me.

Have these two original rayon crêpe fabrics laying around and I think they will be a fun combo.
To finish this post one last holiday picture of when we found a Christmas tree and decided to decorate it, in august.
But before you know it....this will be reality

Birthe


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten