zaterdag 27 februari 2016

Museum opening outfit for Catwalk: Fashion at the Rijksmuseum

 
Here I am in front of a picture Erwin Olaf made for the exhibition Catwalk: Fashion at the Rijksmuseum & wall paper with the pattern of a wedding mantua from 1759. What a setting, and I was there for a reason!
 
 A week and a half ago I had a museum opening at the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam. This opening was different from others. Not only is it an exhibition about fashion I've also been working on it myself. I'm currently working at the Rijksmuseum as an academic assistant costume and have contributed to the exhibition by writing the infomational texts for each object amongst other things. So for the opening I had to wear something fabulous. It had to be a floorlength evening dress (3rd time to wear a long eveningdress within a month, I'm proud of myself!)
 
As the event would be very crowded I opted for a sleek lace dress. At first I had wanted to wear a grand 1950's tafeta gown but I decided it to be to voluminous.  
The dress probably dates from the late 1930's and has the prettiest light blue collor.
I hadn't worn this dress for nearly 3 years so I was ever so glad to find it still fit me.
It is actually really a museum party dress as the last time I wore it was at the reopening party of the Rijksmuseum in April 2013.
I was dancing ;)
 
I've also worn it in 2011 at the opening of an exhibition I curated myself for a provincial museum. Rather a different look though:
 
 
So lucky my hair is a bit shorter now so I can do without an updo :)
 


 
I rather liked how my pincurls turned out that evening (except for a few of those loose ends)


 
Instead of a large flower I wore an elaborate neckalace and matching earrings.

I had invited a lot of friends who came dressed in vintage or historic costume. I was so busy that evening I forgot to take pictures of their amazing looks...such a pity. They were gorgeous!
 
Photo: Martine Teunissen/Beleef het Verleden (http://www.beleefhetverleden.nl/)
 
Luckily I have this picture of myself with Martine who was wearing an 18th century reproduction gown she made herself! Oh how well she matched the dresses in the exhibition!


Photo: Gaby Laudy

And antoher one Martine got from a visitor of Nikki & Melchior (as Victoria & Albert, www.facebook.com/NikkiLeeam/ ), Angela & Jasper (in 17th century costume https: www.facebook.com/Walkingthroughhistory/), Martine (18th century costume) & Sander (in 20th century costume)
 
 
Elisabeth, straight from the 17th century! Stole the photo from her Facebook
 
Photo: Martine Teunissen/Beleef het Verleden
 
Annemarie was wearing a late 1910's/20's beaded chemise. Now she has bobbed her hair she reminds me even more of Evangeline Eliott (from the House of Eliott series)

I´m so sad I do not have any pictures of Martine, Hasan, Lynn, Jip, Sjoerd  and Frank who looked their mid-century best, and Charlotte & Merel who came back from the 80's!
 
Below just a few snapshots of the exhibition. As this blog is not really work-related I will not write too much about the actual exhib here. For more info & pics please look at the blog I wrote for Modemuze: https://www.modemuze.nl/blog/making-catwalk
 
 
First room with childrens clothes.
 
 
The 'catwalk' with fashion from the first half of the 20th century.
 
 
A grand wedding gown: vanity fair
 
 
18th century dresses



I think this might be my new favorite!
 


The shilhouettes room, where the mannequins have wigs!

And below just a a few professional photo´s they do the objects much more justice!

Afb. 6 De zaal Feest! Met de japon van Helena Slicher. De foto van Erwin Olaf is te zien in de spiegel achter de jurk. Foto: Carola van Wijk.
 Last room of the exhibition, Photo by Carola van Wijk

Afb. 5 Erwin Olaf, 2015, Ymre Stiekema en de japon van Helena Slicher.
Erwin Olaf, Ymre Stiekema in the wedding dress of Helena Slicher (1759) 

This image was created espcecially for the exhibition by photographer Erwin Olaf, who did the scenery/design. The model is not actually wearing the dress. They were photographed individually and then photoshopped into one image.
 
So happy a colleague made some pictures of me in the exhibition, before the large crowds came in :)
 
Hope to be back soon with a blog about a weekend in Paris!
 
Birthe
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten